As the golden leaves drift off the trees and each morning feels cooler than the one before, we are finding ourselves turning to our favourite home comforts. This weekend’s plans…curl up on the sofa, watch our favourite new series (which we won’t admit that we‘re too addicted to) and then tuck into a wonderfully hearty meal.
The abundance of hearty vegetables is one of our favourite things about Fall, so we’ve teamed up with Lizzy Rose from The Food Edits to create a mouth-watering Autumnal recipe using the best seasonal ingredients.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 40-60 minutes
1kg Butternut Squash (peeled & cut into small chunks)
300g Risotto Rice
1 & ½ Litres Vegetable Stock
50g Parmesan (finely grated)
2x Tbsp Parsley
1x White Onion
2x Garlic Cloves
2x Tbsp Avocado Oil
1x Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3x Tbsp Walnuts (crushed)
½x Tbsp Turmeric
½x Tbsp Black Pepper
- Heat the oven to fan 180C.
- Mix the chopped butternut squash with 1x tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Place the squash on baking paper and roast in the oven for 30 minutes until soft.
- Whilst the butternut squash is roasting, bring the vegetable stock to boil and keep on a low simmer.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic cloves.
- In a separate pan on a medium heat, add in the avocado oil and stir in the chopped onion and garlic cloves.
- Mix well and allow to sweat for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the risotto rice into the onions and garlic until coated in the avocado oil.
- Stir until the rice has turned yellow and shiny.
- Add in the turmeric and asparagus into the vegetable stock and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add a ladle full at a time of the vegetable stock until fully absorbed and stir the rice over a low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Once the stock is fully absorbed, the risotto should be creamy, soft but slightly firm.
- Add in the cooked butternut squash and sprinkle with walnuts, parmesan, parsley and black pepper.
*To make the butternut squash swirls, use a vegetable peeler to form long thin strips of the butternut squash. Starting from one side, gently roll the strip to form the swirl and place on top of the risotto*
Let us know your favourite home comforts by tagging us in your sofa pictures on Instagram! @collinsandhayes